Come join Penn National Insurance’s amazing team of professionals! We have one position available for either a Loss Control Consultant or Senior Loss Control Consultant. (You only need to apply to one to be considered for either.) The territory for this position is the entire state of Tennessee and possibly northern Alabama. You must reside in Tennessee or be willing to relocate. Previous insurance Loss Control experience is preferred.
The Senior Loss Control Consultant conducts loss control on-site loss control surveys and virtual meetings of prospective and written commercial lines accounts within a designated geographic territory to gain a thorough understanding of their operations.
COMPETENCIES AND ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF THE SENIOR LOSS CONTROL CONSULTANT
- Completes all required reports and documentation pertaining to account visits to assist the underwriting staff in determining the viability of the written or prospective risk.
- Handles large and more complex accounts.
- Assists the Home Office Manager of Loss Control in technical training and field evaluations of other field Loss Control Consultants as requested.
- Assists the Home Office Manager of Loss Control with classroom technical training for the Loss Control staff and underwriters.
- Performs various projects requested or assigned by the Home Office Manager of Loss Control to include management of vendor Loss Control work within assigned territories.
- Visits accounts’ facilities to better understand the operations, the associated hazards/exposures, and determine the effectiveness of the accounts’ safety programs.
- Determines compliance (and evaluates safety programs) based on OSHA, NFPA, DOT, ANSI and other state and local codes and requirements.
- Conducts agency visits to promote specific loss control service, services we can provide, and other initiatives.
- Provides loss control consulting services for written accounts to include the application of loss control/safety management principles and practices directed to specific situations to reduce, eliminate, and/or control potential hazards/exposures (services may include on-site training).
Time & Priority Management
- Conducts basic Industrial Hygiene and Health surveys such as noise assessments and ergonomic assessments.
- Attends branch large loss meetings and other meetings requiring loss control expertise.
- May assist in the training of Commercial Underwriters and act in a consulting capacity to the Commercial Underwriter position.
- Develops, submits, and discusses recommendations with customers to improve conditions. These will also mitigate or control the hazards identified.
Performs various projects requested or assigned by the Home Office Manager – Loss Control
CORPORATE CORE COMPETENCIES OF THE SENIOR LOSS CONTROL CONSULTANT
Effectively Communicates and Connects
- Communicates and negotiates effectively with peers regarding work outcomes.
- Influences by making a strong case, bringing other people on the team to understand the presented viewpoint.
- Provides feedback and is clear when disagreeing with an approach; offers suggestions for improvement.
- Attentively listens and asks clarifying questions and paraphrases to enhance understanding.
- Builds and nurtures positive relationships within the workplace.
- Identifies explicit and implied customer needs.
- Asks probing questions to fully understand business requirements.
- Develops positive relationships with customers by meeting their needs as well as incorporating their feedback.
- Responds quickly and acts with high quality solutions that address needs and improve overall customer experience.
- Owns resolution of customer experience outcome.
Talent Development Mindset
- Discusses technical and professional development with peers to gain suggestions for further development.
- Actively seeks and acts on opportunities to recognize peers for high performance.
- Stays alert to identify learning opportunities for self.
- Contributes to progressive thinking within the team by posing questions that challenge traditional methods or processes.
- Proposes ideas and suggests new approaches to tackling own work tasks and issues in a better way to drive organization success.
- Participates in and actively supports change initiatives and provides ideas to promote their success.
- Recognizes and manages an ambiguous work environment.
- Demonstrates flexibility in generating alternative solutions and recommendations.
- Applies judgment in making decisions about own work and takes responsibility for actions.
- Demonstrates reliability by producing steady work results and delivering on commitments to team members on time.
- Takes responsibility for regularly seeking and applying feedback and actively learning from errors and setbacks.
- Understands the mission of the organization.
SPECIAL RELATIONSHIPS FOR THE SENIOR LOSS CONTROL CONSULTANT
- Reports to the Home Office Manager of Loss Control
- Direct contact with various levels of underwriting and claims personnel
- Direct contact with agents and insureds
QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE SENIOR LOSS CONTROL CONSULTANT
- Bachelor’s degree with a major in safety, science, or engineering; continuing education through specialty courses such as Associate in Loss Control Management (ALCM) and Associate in Risk Management (ARM) and certifications such as ASP, CSP, CIH or OHST (additional related experience may substitute for education)
- 4 to 6 years in property/casualty loss control, conducting loss control surveys, and performing loss control consulting work on written accounts with experience handling the larger and more complex accounts.
- Previous insurance Loss Control experience preferred.
- Proficient level of technical and professional skills/knowledge of the loss control/safety area for all types of surveys for all commercial lines and programs.
- In-depth knowledge of operational practices for industrial, construction, institutional, commercial, educational and habitational occupancies.
- Good understanding of commercial insurance coverages.
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- Basic training and presentation skills.
- Good communication skills, both oral and written, to include the ability to develop and present information of varying degrees of complexity in an easily understood manner.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Good PC skills with an emphasis on Microsoft Office Suite.
JOB REQUIREMENTS (as required by ADA – Americans with Disabilities Act)
- This position is primarily a sedentary position that requires occasional standing and walking throughout the office environment.
- Must be able to see and effectively use a computer monitor.
- Must be able to operate a computer, keyboard and applicable printers and other general office equipment.
- Must be able to access and enter information accurately using automated systems.
- Must be able to hear and communicate via the telephone and/or monitoring devices to both internal and external clients.
- Must be able to present information to individuals and groups.
- Must be able to interpret and apply concepts that may or may not be based upon established guidelines.
- Must be able to maintain acceptable attendance and adhere to scheduled work hours.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to operate a motor vehicle.
- Must be able to travel with overnight stays required.
Only candidates from the following states will be considered: Alabama, Delaware, Iowa, Maryland, Minnesota, North Carolina, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, Wisconsin.
John Pauls, Hiring Manager
Jill Riley, Recruiter